This is an exciting new position on our Service Platform team; this team is responsible for creating an internal platform as a service for our development teams to help drive a shift to enable our teams to build with openness and extensibilities.
For this role, we are seeking a strong technical background and acumen. If you have a passion for prototyping, proof of concept, and keeping your technical skills sharp - this is a great Senior Product Manager role.
Senior Product Managers are responsible for leading decision-making, product strategy, definition, and execution for one or more products or feature areas that impact multiple product development teams or business functions.
As a Senior Product Manager in Frameworks, you will define and drive the end-to-end product vision and strategy for Workivas development platform. This will include the evolution of the internal development platform as well as enabling external partners and independent software developers to be successful when building on the Workiva Platform. You will work closely with these developers to understand their needs, pain points and prioritize and sequence feature development and releases leading to significant and tangible value. You will be an expert in technology products including micro-services, Restful APIs, Platform as a Service, AWS, messaging, and other technologies necessary to create a world-class development experience. Leveraging this expertise you will develop your ideas into real products that developers use and love every day.
You will build strong working relationships across multiple engineering, design, project management, and business teams, and work closely with senior leaders within product development and across the company. You will be an advocate for your customers throughout the organization and hold a very high bar for building a high-quality product. In addition, you will work with other Product Managers within Frameworks helping guide and mentor Product Managers in the area of API design, encryption, authentication, authorization, and UI extensibility.
Discovery: Engages internal Workiva experts and customers (new or prospective) to gain an understanding of key challenges that represent opportunities for Workiva products or solutions. Using this knowledge, the product manager collaborates with his/her product team(s) to iteratively define solutions ranging from small feature enhancements to robust solutions.
- Meets with customers to identify customer needs and opportunities, determine product-market fit
- Gathers and considers feedback from a range of existing customers to determine whether new enhancements/features/solutions will address their needs
- Meets with customers to validate features and walks through product iterations in the course of development to ensure product development is on track to meet customer needs
- Researches competitive/related solutions, understands the technology landscape
- Acquires deep expertise of their product, their customers, and the related domain(s)
- Works closely with design to make sure features are usable and intuitive for our customers
- Works closely with engineering to ensure solution feasibility
- Document key uses cases to help the team understand the problems
- Creates story maps, roadmaps, and other artifacts to provide context and direction to product teams and other stakeholders
- Ensures final product meets customer needs
Management of Product: Authors and maintains product vision and strategy. Defines priority of outcomes, clarifies customer needs for product team(s), works with engineering to set deadlines for milestones, authors Objectives and Key Results (OKRs), and acts as a leader on their product team(s).
- Acquires deep expertise of their product(s) and adjacent products
- Creates and maintains a clear product vision and strategy that helps drive the product forward and supports the broader business goals of Workiva
- Partners with lead engineer and UX designer to scope out solutions and features and establish pathways for the team to develop the product
- Establishes success criteria for the product, and works with UX researchers to determine how to measure that criterion.
- Monitors progress towards product completion for each component and the final product
- Ensures final product meets customer needs
- Identify potential problems within their product areas, process, or teams that arise in their area and drive resolutions for those issues.
Relationship Management: Manages relationships with their product team, the product management team, product marketing, internal stakeholders, sales, strategic partners, customer success, and customers that use or might use their product.
- Ensures that their product team understands the vision and strategy of their product, as well as the short and medium-term plans to achieve their vision.
- Collaborates with the Product Management team to identify areas of possible alignment or collision
- Collaborates with Product Marketing to develop a go-to-market strategy
- Works to inform internal stakeholders of product strategy and goals, understands and considers their input
Leadership/Mentorship: Manages or mentors less experienced Product Managers. Provides guidance and leadership to other product team members.
- Provides guidance, formally or informally, to others in the Product Management team
What You'll Need
- Initiative and ambition
- Intellectual curiosity
- Affinity for technology/software
- Ability to motivate, inspire, and lead by example
- Excellent interpersonal communication and collaboration skills
- Strong negotiator
- Product delivery practices
- Product evangelism and motivational leadership
- Data-driven decision making
- Vision and strategic thinking
- Experience delivering software in an agile development environment using continuous deployment techniques
- History of delivery of successful products in a product management role
- Experience in managing beta or early adopter programs
- Demonstrated competency in product discovery practices
- Entrepreneurial interests and experience
- B.S./B.A. degree preferred, preferably in computer science, computer engineering, or business
- MBA preferred
Working Conditions & Physical Requirements
- Travel up to 25% travel required
- Reliable internet access for any period of time working remotely, not in a Workiva office.
Where You’ll Work
Our values drive how we work and who we hire. You will see these values ingrained in how we support our customers, work with team members, build our products, and in the work environment we’ve created.
- Customer Success: Always delight our customers.
- Trust: Rely on each other.
- Integrity: Do the right thing, every time.
- Collaboration: Share resources and work together.
- Innovation: Keep creating solutions and finding better ways.
- Inclusion: Support a diverse community where we all belong.
- Accountability: Be responsible for your success and failure.
We believe our people are our greatest asset, and our unique culture gives employees the opportunity to make an impact every day. We give our employees the freedom and resources they need—backed by our culture of collaboration and diverse thought—to continue innovating and breaking new ground. We hire talented people with a wide range of skills and experiences who are eager to tackle some of today’s most challenging problems.
At Workiva, you’ll enjoy:
- Fantastic Benefits: With coverage starting day one, choose from competitive health, dental, and vision plans on the largest physician networks available.
- Casual Dress: Workiva has a casual work environment, most people wear jeans to the office.
- Involvement: Ability to participate in Employee Resource Groups, (Women in Tech, Women in Sales, Ethnic Diversity, Veterans, Rainbow (LGBTQ), Remote Employees, Caregiving) Volunteering, Company wide celebrations, and more
- Work-life Balance: We have competitive PTO, VTO and Parental Leave. We encourage employees to spend time enjoying life outside of work.