City of Missoula Department of Public Works and Mobility
STATUS: Full-time, Union; International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers
HOURLY RATE: $26.69
CLOSE DATE: Open Until Filled
Screening of applications will begin on March 12, 2021. However, applications will continue to be accepted until an adequate applicant pool has been established.
The Electronics Technician I performs a variety of skilled and semi-skilled complex electronic repair and maintenance work.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Install, repair, program, maintain and modify complex communication system equipment such as radio base station, repeaters, two-way radios, pagers, digital microwave equipment, computerized closed-loop traffic control systems, mobile data terminals with radio modems, and other radio communication equipment
- Install and repair emergency vehicle equipment and vehicle detection devices
- Test, repair, install, and modify wiring plans, luminaries, and replace bulbs or lamps in traffic signals and street lighting
- Assist the City of Missoula as needed with electronic communication systems and audio equipment
Knowledge & Skills
- Knowledge of work zone signing requirements, policy and practices for working in the public right-of-way, and relevant OSHA standards and guidelines
- Knowledge of State and Federal traffic regulations and the ability to learn the City of Missoula code, policies, and procedure
- Knowledge of personal computer operations, Microsoft Office Suite, software installation, ability to troubleshoot and repair databases, and complex mobile data terminals with radio modems
- Knowledge of radio site construction and management practices
- Knowledge of traffic engineering principles and procedures including, traffic signalization and timing street lighting
- Skilled in understanding and studying electronic repair manuals, schematics, blueprints with the ability to interpret
- Skilled in understanding and analyzing electronic repair manuals, schematics, blueprints with the ability to interpret
- Ability to perform complex maintenance, modifications, or repair of traffic signals, traffic detection devices, street luminaries, and other electrical equipment
- Ability to maintain, modify, and repair alarms, audio/visual equipment, emergency vehicle equipment, pagers, and radios
- Ability to promote and maintain effective relationships with diverse individuals and groups
- Post-secondary program in Communication Electronics and three years of electronics experience; OR an equivalent combination of education and experience
- Verified acceptable driving record
- Subject to pre-employment and random drug and alcohol testing per U.S. Dept. of Transportation regulation
This position requires you to be on a three week (24/7) on-call rotation
Licenses/Certifications Must possess or be able to obtain, within
- Duties require the ability to access traffic signals with the use of a bucket truck and climb radio towers, with exposure to sometimes extreme weather and unsafe conditions
- Ability to work at extreme heights up to 50 feet
- May require moving equipment and material weighing up to 50 pounds
The City of Missoula is committed to cultivating, fostering, and preserving a culture of diversity and inclusion. We embrace and encourage our employees’ differences in age, color, disability, ethnicity, family or marital status, gender identity or expression, language, national origin, physical and mental ability, political ideas, race, religion, sexual orientation, socio-economic status, veteran status, and other characteristics that make our employees unique.
- Explain or describe your experience working in communications, traffic signals, or street lighting?
- Explain or describe your experience working in a land mobile radio service?
Required Application Documents
- City of Missoula Application
- Cover Letter