Zoot Enterprises is now accepting applications for an Associate Counsel. Zoot’s legal team functions as a full-service law firm within the organization – we take pride in providing legal services directly to the organization and not outsourcing them. As Associate Counsel, you will work on complex legal issues in a large variety of practice areas, and you will work with some of the largest and most innovative companies in the world. You will work within a tight-knit, collaborative legal and compliance team that enjoys tackling hard questions and exploring the law together. The ideal candidate will be curious and have the ability to think abstractly and go beyond the most obvious questions and answers. He or she will have experience with complex regulatory areas, will enjoy the opportunity to tackle new areas of the law, and will have the ability and confidence to become an expert and take ownership of those areas within the legal department. Experience interacting with senior-level business management is a plus. He or she will have the ability to strike a sensible and practical balance between legal risks and the need to do business. Zoot is a creative company, and we seek an attorney who is equally creative and that has a history of identifying innovative solutions to problems.
Essential Job Functions
- Identify legal issues and laws relevant to Zoot's business.
- Research, interpret and provide clear and concise written and/or verbal explanations of applicable laws/issues.
- Translate complex legal areas into useable rules for business leaders.
- Understand Zoot's business, and how the law applies to Zoot's business, and be able to provide effective counsel to Zoot's business leaders regarding both business and legal issues.
- Draft and effectively negotiate a large variety of contracts, licenses, etc.
- Analyze the probable outcomes of complex functional issues and problems, using knowledge of legal precedents, and make sound decisions.
- Understand and provide guidance regarding the consumer financial protection laws/regulations applicable to Zoot's role as a service provider to financial institutions.
- Participate in establishing policies and procedures that are consistent with the organization’s broad policies and objectives.
- Assist management on all corporate, legal, and regulatory matters, including but not limited to: general contracts, third-party agreements, vendor supplier relationships, management of external counsel, management of the litigation process, industry-related compliance issues, employment law, patents, intellectual property, and trade secrets.
- Identify and research employment law issues, and provide guidance regarding employment matters.
- Assist in managing Zoot's intellectual property portfolio.
- Achieve a service-focused culture with an emphasis on delivering on-time, high-quality products and services to internal and external customers.
- Other duties as assigned – it is understood that this list of major duties and responsibilities is not an inclusive list and that other duties and responsibilities, which may include helping others in the same or different departments, may be assigned by the supervisor.
Education, Training, and Experience Requirements
- Bachelor Degree in Economics, Business, Finance, Engineering, Philosophy, or related field preferred. Masters degree preferred.
- Juris Doctor/Law Degree from an ABA-accredited law school required.
- 2+ years of work-related experience at a law firm or in an in-house corporate law group required.
- Must be in active, good standing to practice law in at least one State (Montana or South Dakota preferred). If you are not licensed in Montana, you must be willing and able to become licensed in Montana.
- Other legal experience areas preferred:
- Medical technology licensing, contracting, and regulatory issues.
- Patent drafting.
- Financial technology licensing, contracting, and regulatory issues.
- Finance industry law and regulations, specifically consumer financial protection laws.
- Financial, accounting, or tax experience.
- Corporate governance.
- Real estate transactions.
- Data privacy and security law.
- Executive compensation and benefits.
- All positions at Zoot require the ability to move about inside an office environment which includes the operation of computers and other office productivity machinery and frequently communicates with other employees, clients, vendors, and visitors.
- This position specifically requires long periods of sitting at a computer workstation.
- This position will take place primarily in an office setting.
- This position will require travel 0% of the time.
Zoot Benefits Include:
- Proudly based in beautiful Bozeman, Montana
- Casual Attire
- Bring Your Well Behaved Dog
- On-site Child Care Center
- Flexible Work Schedule
- On-site Cafeteria
- Espresso & Snack Bar
- On-site Fitness Center & Fitness Classes
- Private Disc Golf Course
- Underground Parking
- Paid Vacation, Sick Leave, & Holidays
- 401(k) with Generous Company match
- Health, Dental, Vision, Life Insurance, Short Term & Long Term Disability
- Fun Committee and Family Friendly Events
- Wellness Committee dedicated to Health, Fitness, & Nutrition
For over 25 years, Zoot Enterprises has been a global provider of advanced origination, acquisition, and decision management solutions. Our customer-centric tools and services enable Zoot's clients to add value and differentiation while providing nimble, scalable solutions for specific business objectives.
A leader in the fintech industry, Zoot provides a cloud-based secure processing environment that delivers millisecond real-time decisions, accessing hundreds of cutting-edge data sources to help reduce risk and increase conversions.
Zoot Enterprises, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and as such, affirms the right of every person to participate in all aspects of employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, citizenship, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, veteran status, disability, genetic information, or any other protected characteristic. If you are interested in applying for employment and need special assistance or accommodation to apply for this posted position, contact our Human Resources Department via phone at 406-586-5050 or e-mail at email@example.com.