The Innovation Engineer is primarily responsible for developing, implementing, and supporting innovation strategies for the incorporation of new technology into the gas/electric systems. Innovations strategies encompass the technical, business, marketing, political and regulatory aspects of incorporating new technology into the system.
DESCRIPTION OF ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
- All NorthWestern Energy employees are required to adhere to company safety standards and the Code of Business Conduct & Ethics
- Ensure all actions are consistent with NorthWestern Energy's values, mission, and strategic business objectives
- Use sound analytical skills to model, analyze study results, propose solutions to problems, and recommend long-range asset plans, including the adoption of new technology, for the electric/gas system
- Coordinate and implement pilot concepts of new technology, performing engineering feasibility studies, creating drawings and spreadsheets as well as developing the business case using engineering economics
- Compile and write technical reports and present results to management and/or internal customers
- Maintain compliance with all related reliability standards including industry and regulatory
- Make recommendations to management on system issues and long-range capital improvements
- Coordinate projects between distribution and transmission planning with operations, supervisors, construction managers, and stakeholders from other affected departments
- Provide technical support on existing technology projects including Advanced Metering Infrastructure (AMI), Advanced Distribution Management Systems (ADMS), solar/storage pilot projects, and other innovative technology solutions
- Job time is spent in office and field environment with exposure to all field hazards and weather
- Travel up to 25% with combination day trips and overnight travel is required
Marginal Work Functions
*These functions may be considered essential based on location and other factors.
- Analyzes innovation for trends to identify future requirements for the gas/electric systems
- Develop comprehensive business cases for innovation improvements
- Strong customer relations and relational experience
- Aid in the development of 1,3 and 10-year capital and operations innovation infrastructure requirements and work closely with finance to identify the impacts of the funding requirements
- Required to monitor future changes in codes and standards and ensure the integration of these changes into our long term planning process
- Demonstrate and maintain a good safety record
- Must possess strong interpersonal communications skills
- Applicants must have a BS degree in Engineering
- Current Professional Engineer's License or the ability to obtain a Professional Engineer's License is preferred
- Working knowledge of computer programming is preferred
- Working knowledge of electrical power-flow modeling is preferred
- Working knowledge of construction and utility operations is preferred
- Valid driver's license and satisfactory driving record required Unless they are not in the field and no travel)
- Excellent communications skills and good to excellent technical writing skills preferred
- Have the ability to handle multiple conflicting tasks or projects and stressful situations
- Must be organized and have the ability to work well with others, showing effective leadership skills
When considering applicants for this position, the selection process will take into consideration the needs of NorthWestern, including such factors as reorganization requirements, diversity opportunities, relocation requirements, employee development, and job succession. If any of the preceding language conflicts with the applicable bargaining unit agreements, the bargaining unit agreement will prevail.
External applicants should apply online at http://www.northwesternenergy.com. Internal applicants should apply online at iConnect. In compliance with the ADA Amendments Act, should you have a disability that requires assistance and/or reasonable accommodation with the job application process, please contact the Human Resources department via phone at 1-800-245-6977, or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Human Resources Department Job #3217
3010 West 69th Street
Sioux Falls, SD 57108
We are an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, or any other protected class in accordance with applicable federal or state laws and statutes.