Headquartered in Montana with offices in both Missoula and Bozeman, onX is rooted in a passion for the peaks and rivers surrounding us. We bring our devotion to the outdoors to work daily with a singular, powerful goal; to inspire others to find their own adventures off the pavement. Through the melding of technology and passion for the outdoors we enable people to craft rewarding, dynamic outdoor experiences.
WE ARE LOOKING FOR
onX is seeking a motivated Senior Android Engineer with a passion for innovation and being on the leading edge of Android development. As an onX Android Engineer, you will implement the latest mapping and Android technologies to meet the needs of outdoor enthusiasts. This is a great opportunity to be a part of a dynamic startup focused on making an impact on the business, and the mobile mapping industry as a whole. You'll work on a cross-platform team alongside iOS, web, and backend engineers with a designer and product manager. This position will report to Engineering - Manager II.
Bozeman, MT; Missoula, MT; or Remote. Additionally, being authorized to work in the U.S. is a precondition of employment. We do not sponsor work visas (of any kind ) for this position at this time.
TECHNOLOGIES YOU'LL USE
(Essential Job Duties)
- Develop new user-facing features in our Android app with Kotlin
- Write reusable code and libraries for future use
- Maintain an “offline first” application that must work with or without service
- Store data locally using a combination of SQLite, Shared Preferences, and disk caching
- Ensure the technical feasibility of UI/UX designs
- Optimize application for maximum speed, scalability, and battery life
- Participate in Android platform leadership and craft best practices that help the team succeed
- Work closely with a product manager to own the workstream and sprint planning
- Mentor junior software engineers to help them learn and grow
- Bachelor's degree in software engineering, computer engineering, computer science or related degree required.
- Minimum seven (7) years of professional software development experience required, where Android development (Kotlin and/or Java) was your professional focus for five (5) or more years.
- Must have worked on an app that has been released to the Google Play Store, either as an individual or member of a team.
- Strong CS Fundamentals such as algorithms and data structures. Yes, they are needed here.
- Experience with gRPC and/or REST
- Experience with SQLite or other relational databases
- Understanding of best practices and architectural patterns such as MVVM.
- You are excited to work with experienced developers and write great code
- You’re fun to work with
- You get stuff done
- You take ownership
- Experience with Geospatial tools and libraries
- Experience with MapBox is strongly preferred
- Ability to better collaborate with your iOS counterparts
- Experience with GraphQL
- Understanding of concurrency in Android
- Familiar with GCS, Firebase, Kubernetes, microservices, or Docker
- Familiarity with Elastic Search
- Practice using metrics to measure app performance at scale
PHYSICAL WORKING CONDITIONS
The following physical requirements represent those that are required to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Sitting - [90%]
- Standing - [5%]
- Walking - [5%]
- Bending - [Occasionally]
- Kneeling - [Some]
- Lifting - [Up to 25 pounds]
- Reaching - [Regularly]
- Telephone Use - [Yes]
- Computer Use/Manual Dexterity - Yes
- Ability to travel - [For remote, up to 10%, post-COVID]
WHAT WE ARE OFFERING YOU
- Competitive salary and opportunities for growth
- Comprehensive medical, insurance, and wellness benefits
- Four weeks paid family leave
- 401k matching at 100% the first 3% you save and 50% from 3-5%
- Company-wide outdoor adventures twice per year
- Amazing outdoor industry discounts
- Summer hours for salaried employees
onX COMPANY VALUES
Our principles guide the decisions making of our company. They define the culture at onX, what we have learned through experience and are the code by which we operate. They are fundamental, enduring and actionable–a benchmark by which we measure the team behavior and performance.
We put the customer first.
We are passionate.
We win as a team.
We take ownership.
We work with urgency.
We are curious and seek the truth.
We innovate & take risks.