The Senior Machine Learning Engineer is responsible for delivering machine learning (ML) infrastructure solutions across Workiva with the goal of improving quality, reliability, and efficiency of ML services. The role develops tools, systems, and automation to help monitor, measure, manage, and make transparent Workiva’s machine learning models. The Senior ML Engineer analyzes issues that prevent availability or scaling and derives solutions that provide long-term stability. The role works across product lines to standardize tools and methodologies. They will also provide technical leadership to a team of Engineers to create a reliable and stable platform.
- Deliver, update, maintain machine learning model training infrastructure
- Design systems to enable rapid ML development, high availability, and clear observability
- Write automated tests (unit, integration, functional, etc) with ML solutions in mind
- Develop APIs with product teams to access Workiva’s ML models
- Responsible for serving/hosting ML models to product teams including monitoring
- Debug and troubleshoot components across multiple service and application contexts
- Engage with support teams in triaging and resolving production issues
- Participate in on-call rotations which include 24x7 support of all of Workiva’s SaaS hosted environments
- Perform Code Reviews within your group’s products, components, and solutions; involve external stakeholders (Ex. Security, Architecture) where appropriate
- Communicate complex technical issues to both technical and non-technical audiences
- Forecast and plan solution development team deliverables and timelines
- Maintain the backlog, coordinates teams, and works to resolve interdependencies with other product teams when serving in the tech lead role
- Manage and resolve dependencies between teams
- Collaborate with software, data architects and product managers to design complete software products that can be leveraged to meet a broad range of customer needs and requirements
What You'll Need
- Undergraduate Degree or equivalent combination of education and experience in a related field.
- 4+ years as a senior level software engineer in a related field
- Prior experience leading cross team integrations
- Understanding of the machine learning development cycle
- Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills
- GitHub or other distributed VCS
- Go, Python
- Docker, Kubernetes
- Experience with Amazon Web Services or Google App Engine, etc.
- Demonstrated expertise in programming to include a solid foundation in computer science, with competencies one or more of: data structures, algorithms, object-oriented software design, and working with cloud-based distributed systems.
- Debugging complex systems or applications
- Knowledge of HTTP and web protocols
- Using one or more commercial databases
- Working in an agile development environment
- Developing for service oriented architecture
- Exceptional organizational skills with the ability to multitask and manage multiple processes, programs, and procedures simultaneously while working under pressure to meet deadlines
- Systems performance tuning and load testing
- Big data ecosystems (e.g. Hive, Spark, Hadoop, etc)
- Working with product teams to integrate machine learning features into the product
- Working with classified or sensitive data
- Production-level testing best practices (signals tests, load testing for ML services, etc) and optimizing models to work at scale
- Experience building model deployment pipelines and/or CI/CD pipelines and infrastructure
Working Conditions & Physical Requirements
- Reliable internet access for any period of time working remotely, not in a Workiva office
How You'll Be Rewarded
- Base Pay Range in Colorado: $140,000 - $185,000
- A discretionary bonus typically paid annually
- Restricted Stock Units granted at time of hire
- The base pay range represents the low and high end of the hiring range for this job. Actual pay will vary and may be above or below the range based on various factors including but not limited to relevant skills, experience, and capabilities.
Where You’ll Work
Our values drive how we work and who we hire. You will see these values ingrained in how we support our customers, work with team members, build our products and in the work environment we’ve created.
- Customer Success: Always delight our customers.
- Trust: Rely on each other.
- Integrity: Do the right thing, every time.
- Collaboration: Share resources and work together.
- Innovation: Keep creating solutions and finding better ways.
- Inclusion: Support a diverse community where we all belong.
- Accountability: Be responsible for your success and failure.
We believe our people are our greatest asset, and our unique culture gives employees the opportunity to make an impact everyday. We give our employees the freedom and resources they need—backed by our culture of collaboration and diverse thought—to continue innovating and breaking new ground. We hire talented people with a wide range of skills and experiences who are eager to tackle some of today’s most challenging problems.
At Workiva, you’ll enjoy:
- Fantastic Benefits: With coverage starting day one, choose from competitive health, dental, and vision plans on the largest physician networks available.
- Casual Dress: Workiva has a casual work environment, most people wear jeans to the office.
- Involvement: Ability to participate in Employee Resource Groups, (Women in Tech, Women in Sales, Ethnic Diversity, Veterans, Rainbow (LGBTQ), Remote Employees, Caregiving) Volunteering, Company wide celebrations, and more
- Work-life Balance: We have competitive PTO, VTO and Parental Leave. We encourage employees to spend time enjoying life outside of work.
Learn more: https://www.linkedin.com/showcase/workiva-life-and-careers/
Learn more: https://www.workiva.com/careers/benefits
Workiva is an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We believe that great minds think differently. We value diversity of backgrounds, beliefs, and interests, and we recognize diversity as an important source of intellectual thought, varied perspective, and innovation. Employment decisions are made without regard to age, race, creed, color, religion, sex, national origin, ancestry, disability status, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression genetic information, marital status, citizenship status or any other protected characteristic.
Workiva is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities. To request assistance with the application process, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.