For over 25+ years, Home Science Tools (HST), headquartered in Billings, Montana, (USA) has helped homeschool families to experience the wonder and joy of discovering the world through science. Fast forward and HST now serves over 1,000,000+ families and ships 3,000+ products globally.
The HST Multichannel Sales Model
HST sells its own complete science kit products and branded products (beakers, chemicals, microscopes) and resells curriculum and other science products through an eCommerce site at HomeScienceTools.com. In addition, HST drives revenue through our wholesale channel by striking partnerships, nurturing stakeholder relationships, and selling through/to the industry’s best product resellers, charter schools, and diversified hands-on learning companies. Today’s Omnichannel Commerce world keeps us always expanding where you can find HST.
Emerging with the Fuel for Growth
Today HST is emerging from COVID-19 in the fortunate position of having grown sales 50% annually while many businesses struggled. With this new fuel for growth, we are investing in a new sales leader to bring our product visions to market and enabling sales processes to thrive in 2021-22.
The Director of New Business & Resellers will execute lucrative win-win multiyear agreements with HST’s network of targeted wholesale resellers, retailers, and online merchants. As a key member of the leadership team, S/he is responsible for building the company’s annual multimillion-dollar pipeline and achieving sales goals. S/he is a confident relationship seller with relevant channel/ eCommerce/ retail/ learning industry accomplishments that your references can attest to. S/he has been in roles like Enterprise/ Commercial sales, National Brand Rep, Strategic Account Manager, Supplier Manager, or Channel /Alliances, Territory Sales Manager, Brand Development Manager, Distribution Manager.
Prior to this role, you’ve held quotas in the range of $500K up to $2M+, and closed contract values over $100k and up to $1M. With success at HST, you’ll open up a generous compensation plan, job promotions, cash bonuses, Spiffs, and potential stock options (ownership) grants.
The HST Sales Leader Charter for 2021-2022
- Grow Wholesale - build a robust pipeline of prospective new partners, increase repeat purchases, upsell, and multiyear extensions with our existing wholesale resellers (customers).
- Direct Sales - Become a supplier of choice for leading education & learning organizations.
- Be the Voice - Gather & share product & market insights from customers and partners.
- Orchestrate Expansion - Standardize sales processes in order to hire & train new sales reps.
- Catalyze eCommerce - Monitor site sales & profit reports, provide motivating input to HST marketing and merchandising teams to continuously improve.
RESPONSIBILITIES (MAJOR JOB DUTIES)
- Collaborate with the CEO to align your vision for the territory(s), targeted accounts, and Ideal target reseller partnerships. Agree on quota, and execute our Multichannel sales strategy.
- Create demand via outbound prospecting, social selling, networking trade shows /events, and account management efforts - resulting in more RFP’s (request for proposals) to prospects.
- Build and maintain a self-sourced rolling pipeline of non-e-commerce opportunities valued at least four times (4x) your quota. Achieve quota of $1,100,000 to $3,000,000 annually. (prorated)
- Be a trusted account manager, learning your partners’ businesses - leading to more upsell, cross-sell, referrals, and longer commitments in the form of extended multiyear contracts.
- Know your markets and collaborate with product management, sales, customer care, eCommerce, and marketing to inspire new case studies, product ideas, and campaigns.
- Serve as “voice of the partner” - Help them identify business pains, competitive gaps, emerging market opportunities, - leading to new co-selling /marketing partnerships and strategies.
- Analyze point-of-sale data by product line, SKU, and retailers to determine growth opportunities and new product segments.
- Influence marketing’s outputs and own the successful outcomes from the marketing strategy, product messaging, and sales positioning, for acquiring new wholesale partners and customers.
- Introduce your sales process, enablement, and collateral tools - Inspire and influence our in-house marketing team to execute your sales enablement strategy.
- A proven, out front sales leader who prefers to build and grow vs. a big company culture.
- You understand the needs of retailers, online marketplaces, and e-commerce merchants.
- A proven business development pro with a track record of verifiable sales success through consultative, strategic, and outcome-based selling approaches. (*See sales methods)
- You’ve held quotas: over $500K to $2M+, and closed contracts $100K up to $1M+.
- Experience working in a complex, dynamic sales environment, calling on multiple decision-makers.
- Business-to-business (B2B) sales experience, with preference given to those with distribution and channels experience, scientific background, and/or multichannel business.
- Evaluate the competitive landscape and industry trends to help drive strategic decisions around product development and customer execution.
- S/he has been in roles like Enterprise/ Commercial sales, National Brand Rep, Strategic Account Management, or Channel/ Alliances.
- Excellent interpersonal skills communicating and collaborating with management, manufacturer reps, team members, and internal specialists.
- Demonstrated capability to effectively utilize best-in-class selling processes (e.g. MEDDIC, N.E.A.T, SPIN, Challenger, Miller Heiman) and CRM platforms (Salesforce.com)
- Lead, Manage, Accountability (LMA): Hires, develops and manages business development teams to meet or exceed business growth targets and strategic customer needs.
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Marketing, Finance, or related field;
- An MBA is advantageous.
- Must have substantial commercial and negotiation experience.
- Minimum 7+ years experience in Education/Enterprise/Institutional consultative sales with a verifiable track record of closing $100K+ deals and exceeding $1M+ annual quota
- Highly developed communication skills and ability to establish relationships both internally and externally with senior decision-makers and stakeholders.
- Ability to read and interpret common scientific, technical, financial, and legal documents.
- 3+ years working in E-commerce, Multichannel selling, and/or Supplier Management.
- Abstract problem solver, able to work in an ambiguous environment.
- Entrepreneurial aptitude, positive attitude
- A plus for candidates with an existing network of senior-level education/ home school/ reseller relationships.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office: Excel, Word, PowerPoint
- US work authorization (Required)
Key Performance metrics:
- Company/ team/ individual sales bookings growth, channels growth, new business bookings, gross profit margin contribution, strategic accounts gross margin growth, and overall market share growth.
- We’ll also measure upsell/cross-sell, contract duration, and Customer Satisfaction.
- Strong National scale Base Salary, plus
- Commissions on closed sales. (Earn 2X your base salary.)
- Plus, goal-based bonuses for strategic contributions to the company,
- Plus, commission through your clients’ life cycle.
- Discretionary Stock options rewards
- Ability to travel up to 50%, when safe and necessary.
- 401(k) and 401(k) matching
- Dental insurance
- Health insurance
- Paid time off
- Vision insurance
Location: Corporate Office, Billings, Montana
Travel Required: 10-20% including some international travel Job Type: Full Time
Quota, President’s Club, Awards, Channels, Alliances, Partnerships, eCommerce, Retail, Education, learning, home school, home science, Lego, Fisher-Price, Mattel, Hasbro, Nerf, Hot Wheels, Mega brands, Playschool, Vtech, Leapfrog, Little Tikes, Bandai Namco, Boxlight, Timberdoodle, Science buddies, Hasbro, Scientific Learning, Disney, Million
Key companies: Science Buddies, Timberdoodle, Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, Scientific Learning, Lixiang Education, Zee Learn, LeapFrog, Boxlight, Disney stores, The Children's Place, Giggles, School Specialty, Cascade School Supplies, Charles J. Becker & Brothers
Agilent Technologies, PerkinElmer, Shimadzu Corporation, Thermo Fisher Scientific, Waters Corporation,
Bio-Rad Laboratories, Bruker Corporation, Danaher Corporation, Fujifilm Holdings Corporation, Agilent Technologies, PerkinElmer, Shimadzu Corporation; Thermo Fisher Scientific, and Waters Corporation.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of employees assigned to this position. HST is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.