For over 25+ years, Home Science Tools (HST), headquartered in Billings, Montana, (USA) has helped homeschool families to experience the wonder and joy of discovering the world through science. Fast forward and HST now serves over 1,000,000+ families and ships 3,000+ products globally.
The HST Multichannel Sales Model
HST sells its own complete science kit products and branded products (beakers, chemicals, microscopes) and resells curriculum and other science products through an eCommerce site at HomeScienceTools.com. In addition, HST drives revenue through our wholesale channel by striking partnerships, nurturing stakeholder relationships, and selling through/to the industry’s best product resellers, charter schools, and diversified hands-on learning companies. Today’s Omnichannel Commerce world keeps us always expanding where you can find HST.
Emerging with the Fuel for Growth
Today HST is emerging from COVID-19 in the fortunate position of having grown sales 50% annually while many businesses struggled. With this new fuel for growth, we are investing in a new marketing leader to bring our product visions to market and enabling sales processes to thrive in 2021-22.
Director of Marketing
Reports to: CEO
SUMMARY - Who you are.
The next HST Director of Marketing is a proven, out-front marketing leader who prefers to build and grow vs. a big company culture. S/he holds authority for leading and INSPIRING our marketing team, and accountability for the company’s full marketing lifecycle including Branding, Market Positioning, Website, Go-to-Market, Content Marketing, Sales Messaging & Enablement, PR/Media/Video/Social, Demand Generation ( traditional & digital), campaign execution, measurement, and ultimately generating a pipeline of qualified SALS (Sales Accepted Leads.)
JOB DESCRIPTION - What you own.
This Director of Marketing defines and executes the branding and marketing strategy including how the brand is perceived by prospective customers, industry peers, and media influencers. S/he owns the message, and enables HST sales success, through her own hands-on marketing efforts, and/or execution via subordinates and Marketing agencies. S/he introduces new content marketing assets (guides, etc.) and bolsters existing assets such as HST’s website, homeschool resource center, product marketing collateral, and by overseeing the ideation, development, and execution of fully integrated (multichannel) marketing and sales development campaigns targeted toward existing and new markets.
- People Management (LMA)
- Responsible for Departmental Profit-and-Loss (P&L) with an eye on company profitability.
- Marketing Revenue Goal - Deals closed based on Marketing generated leads.
- Marketing Pipeline (Qualified leads) of 3X to 5X of closed sales targets.
- Marketing Communications - Increase Media coverage, website traffic, influencer reach.
- Content Management - Create high-engagement assets that progress the buyer lifecycle.
- Branding Strategy - Increase Brand mentions, Sentiments, and share of voice.
- Marketing Automation - Campaign Creation, Execution, and Evolution. Email metrics.
- People Management - Lead, Manage, Accountability (LMA): Hires, develops and manages a marketing team while fostering job satisfaction, retention, and loyalty. Directs and delegates staff and agencies to ideate high-ROI strategies, and execute multichannel campaigns to meet HST Sales and market needs. Sets and manages effective performance standards to achieve business results. Ensures work processes and procedures are documented, maintained, and followed.
- P&L (Profit & Loss): Plans and budgets staff, facilities, equipment, and monthly expenses to cost-effectively generate and implement sales and marketing initiatives to increase revenue and profitability.
- Marketing Revenue Goal: Achieves website-driven and non-web revenue growth objectives through the execution of appropriate marketing strategies and plans to meet customer needs for business growth and seasonal cycles.
- Marketing Strategy and Management: Defines and executes marketing, communication, and sales strategies to uniquely engage our target audience’s needs and drive competitive advantage. Develops and implements marketing strategies that fully support product and business development strategies. Fully supports the product roadmap process, product positioning, and pricing.
- Marketing Technology & Data: You understand what the best technologies and services are to drive your business. You have a prior ‘Play-book’ of best practices you wish to implement. You’re always researching and testing new marketing and e-commerce technologies which you will recommend.
- Branding Strategy and Management: Manages brand strategy and execution including brand values, identity, and governance. Creates a clear brand marketing strategy that considers the needs of our target markets and personas - including how the brand is perceived by prospective customers, industry peers, and media influencers.
- Marketing Plans & Process: Develops Pragmatic marketing processes and plans to execute marketing, brand, product, and business development strategies. Plans and oversees all marketing, sales, advertising, and promotion activities including an e-commerce website, digital marketing, campaigns, print, direct mail, email, and other activities and events. Selects marketing agency partners and ensures their activities achieve desired goals. Develops focused plans to increase and retain customers.
- Market and Customer Needs Research: Researches, understands, and acts on the needs and opportunities of existing and potential customers and markets. Oversees and evaluates market research and adjusts marketing strategy to meet changing market and competitive conditions.
- Customer Journey and User Experience: Manages the website and user experience of the website including site navigation, content development, checkout funnel and promotional campaigns. Defines and manages customer journey mapping and execution.
- Collaboration: Works closely with product development, procurement, business development, and operations to ensure alignment of product, new business, and marketing strategies and plans. Ensures customer needs, experience and opportunities are being met across the organization.
REQUIREMENTS - SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
- Knowledge of K-12, Home Schooling, and Higher Education industry trends and best-in-class marketing strategies.
- Bachelor’s degree in marketing or business administration. (Master’s degree in marketing or business administration is preferred.)
- Minimum 5 years hands-on experience in digital marketing and business-to-consumer (B2C) eCommerce.
- Demonstrated passion and excellence in demand generation through the use of modern marketing technologies (Martech) like email, social, ABM, and testing/personalization.
- A Data-driven, analytics savvy leader experienced with multiple performance reporting tools for weekly ROI reporting on campaign performance and marketing channels optimization.
- Budget management and P&L experience.
- Team training, development, and management experience.
- Confident, driven, and dynamic leader.
- The Director of Marketing position will work to design integrated marketing campaigns focused on targeted (high value) accounts – accounts that are likely to buy.
- Analyze and recommend optimal budget spend with a keen eye on strategies and opportunities which will increase ROI in the near and long term.
- Partner with sales leadership to identify key (high-value accounts, as well as key influencers and decision-makers within these accounts.
- Research the key (high-value) accounts and design campaigns specifically for them, making every touchpoint along the buyer’s journey highly personalized.
- Working cross-functionally with sales, product marketing, regional (field) marketing, and marketing operations.
- Own strategy, planning, and lead generation execution for select industry conferences.
- Benchmark peer/competitor programs, and establish content marketing programs including video and social marketing that help us engage prospective customers.
- Research, recommend and implement a marketing and e-commerce tech stack.
Professional Execution Strengths:
- Ability to translate business requirements into action plans and deliverables.
- Extremely organized and highly motivated.
- Flexibility to work in a rapidly changing environment.
Physical Demands & Working Conditions:
- This position manages all employees of the department and is responsible for the performance management and hiring of the employees within that department.
- This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk and listen. The employee frequently is required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle or feel; and reach with hands and arms and requires the ability to occasionally lift office products and supplies up to 20 pounds.
- This is a full-time exempt position, and typical hours of work and days are Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Relocation to Billings, Montana is required.
- Occasional domestic travel with overnight stays lasting up to 5 days.
Compensation and Benefits
- Competitive salary with performance-based bonus.
- Paid time off includes PTO and nine holidays.
- Generous medical, disability, and life insurance.
- 401(k) plan with generous company contributions.
Location: Corporate Office, Billings, Montana (This is a local position.)
Travel Required: Less than 5%
Job Type: Full Time
Career Level: Management (with staff, exempt)