ALPS, the nation’s largest direct writer of lawyers’ malpractice insurance, is seeking a new Claims Attorney to join our team. A claims attorney has an overall responsibility for the prompt intake, investigation, analysis, evaluation, monitoring and resolution of lawyer’s professional liability claims made against the company’s insureds. A Juris Doctor from an accredited law school and five (5) years’ experience in the practice of law or as a claims attorney in the lawyers professional liability field required.
We are looking for someone who is self-motivated, confident, energetic, with good interpersonal, analytical, negotiation, and oral communication skills. Excellent organization and time management skills are a must. They should possess a strong understanding of the principles of liability, causation and damages. This individual must be flexible, they must be able to occasionally travel outside the office and be available during business hours in geographically diverse jurisdictions.
Competitive salary based on experience, wage range starting at $80k DOE with excellent benefits package:
Employer Sponsored Health Insurance
401K with 6% Match
Regular Mon-Fri, 8am to 5pm hours
Paid time off
Paid Volunteer Time
Corporate Donation Matching
Extensive Wellness Program
The claims attorney has overall responsibility for the prompt intake, investigation, analysis, evaluation, monitoring and resolution of lawyer’s professional liability claims made against the company’s insureds. The claims attorney provides exceptional customer service by being responsive to the needs of insureds involved with claims, by being available to answer insureds’ risk management questions, by considering the needs of the insured at least as much as the needs of the company when resolving a claim, and by providing the insured with the benefits provided to the insured in the policy. The claims attorney also is a a resource to company employees regarding claims, policy language, the practice of law, etc. The claims attorney must be proficient in and with the language of the applicable policies of the company and have a strong working knowledge of how to apply the terms of the policy to the facts and law at issue in each claim.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
1. Reviews, investigates, evaluates and determines if coverage exists for lawyer’s professional liability (LPL) claims brought against an insured.
2. Reviews, investigates and evaluates the facts and law at issue in the LPL claims brought against an insured, with the goal of timely assessing the risk the covered portion of the claim poses to the insured(s) as well as timely assessing the risk to the company pursuant to the duties and obligations the company has under the policy with its insureds.
3. Sets reserves, either within a prescribed authority schedule, or by obtaining the appropriate authority from management, based upon a reasonable objective evaluation of the risk that resolving the claim on behalf of the insured poses to the company.
4. Resolves the claim in a reasonable manner, and in a reasonable time frame in light of the facts and law at issue in the claim.
5. Coordinates and monitors the defense of the insured, as warranted by the facts and law.
6. Coordinates and monitors a coverage evaluation by outside counsel, if necessary, under the facts and law of the claim as applied to the terms of the applicable policy.
7. Takes part in mediation, arbitration, trial, hearings, etc., as dictated by the unique facts and circumstances of each claim.
8. Maintains and documents claim files, accurately, objectively and timely, keeping current with information and notes.
9. Reports to company’s reinsurers as required by the appropriate reinsurance treaties.
10. Serves as a resource for both the insured and members of the company.
11. Contributes to the risk management services provided by the company from time to time.
12. Performs duties and responsibilities as determined by management and the company.
13. Attends meetings, CLEs and other company-related activities, as required.
Minimum Education: A Juris Doctor from an accredited law school.
Minimum Experience: Five (5) years experience in the practice of law or as a claims attorney in the lawyers professional liability field or other experience satisfactory to the company.
Knowledge/Skills/Abilities: Self-motivated, confident, energetic, with good interpersonal, analytical, and negotiation skills. Demonstrates initiative and accountability, and ability to work independently, and must an able to make reasoned decisions on complex matters with less than complete information. Excellent oral communication skills, organization and time management skills. Possesses strong understanding of the principles of liability, causation and damages.
Other Qualifications: Professional demeanor, considerate of the foibles of others, quick and adaptable to respond to requests in a fast-paced corporate setting. Must be flexible with hours to be available for both travel outside the office and to be available during business hours in geographically diverse jurisdictions.