The Senior DevOps Engineer works with application developers to automate and accelerate the testing, release and deployment of applications into a runtime environment quickly and reliably. The Senior DevOps Engineer will have a background in development, operations, and full-stack implementations. They will also have experience programming in a high-level language (i.e. Ruby, Python, Java, C#, Go) or other language to script installation, configuration and provisioning. They will be providing continuous delivery solutions in a cloud environment and have experience with the core suite of tools used to manage different cloud providers.
The Senior DevOps Engineer will maintain and refine existing Continuous Integration practices (currently AWS CodePipeline), recommend improvements and ensure that these practices evolve and mature over time. They will have experience in the use of configuration management automation tools such as Puppet (or other such tools) in creating continuous delivery systems. They employ industry Continuous Delivery patterns and collaboratively work with other members to achieve successful continuous delivery solutions. The ideal candidate will have a bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or closely related subject; an advanced degree is preferred. In addition, 5 or more years’ experience in designing large and complex IT operations in large organizations, a research or academic environment is required.
REQUIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
As a must have attribute, the successful candidate will be responsible for mentoring and teaching existing team members. As such, the ideal candidate must have experience clearly explaining solutions to complex problems and demonstrate the ability to lead and impart knowledge effectively to less experienced team members.
Additional essential skills include:
- AWS infrastructure management
- CI/CD pipeline management and monitoring for both containers and lambdas
- Load Balancing
- Monitoring / Logging
- Networking and Security
- Observability improvements, hardening and maturation
- IAC with a tool such as Terraform or Cloud Formation
- 5+ years of experience spanning at least two IT disciplines, including technical architecture, application development, or operations
- 5 years experience in architecture, design, development, delivery of distributed applications
- Working knowledge of enterprise data center technologies including storage platforms, network switching, and security infrastructure within a virtualized data center
- Team lead experience required
- Knowledge of business process re-engineering principles and processes
- Strong understanding of application development methodologies
- Adept at evaluating problems accurately and displaying sound judgment
- Familiarity with a broad portfolio of AWS infrastructure tools (EBS, S3, EC2, Elastic IP, Route 53, VPC) and experience with cloud infrastructure management and automation technologies (Chef, Puppet)
- Containerization experience (Docker or similar)
- Serverless experience (AWS Lambda, Azure Functions, etc)
- Scripting (shell, Python, Ruby, Go) skills for monitoring and automation
- Continuous integration tools such as Jenkins, Hudson, Github Actions, etc.
- Experience optimizing applications, both stand-alone and in distributed systems to maximize performance
- Experience maintaining an infrastructure and ensuring stability while adding new features
- Ability to clearly articulate design and implementation choices
- Ability to use a wide variety of open source technologies and tools
- Comfort with frequent, incremental code testing and deployment
- Possess a strong grasp of automation tools
- Comfort with collaboration, open communication and reaching across functional borders