The SEC Reporting Consultant is responsible for providing consultative, technical accounting subject matter expertise, knowledge, project support and guidance to customers in order to facilitate use of Workiva technology and ensure the highest quality customer experience.The Professional Services Manager serves as an accounting technical expert and applies accounting acumen to customers on a project basis, providing customer project management, XBRL data modeling, mapping, tagging and review of customer XBRL projects in compliance with quality and customer satisfaction standards.As a key part of the Professional Services team, the SEC Reporting Consultant augments the user’s in-house accounting abilities to optimize the customer’s success, manages the customer relationship to ensure expectations and obligations are fulfilled, and partners with other Workiva internal teams on initiatives that address customer needs, product utilization and improving department efficiencies to help meet company goals.
Provide Subject Matter Expertise
- Apply accounting expertise to facilitate use of Workiva technology and enable customers to create and submit high-quality XBRL-tagged interactive data files in compliance with SEC standards
- Map the Financial Statements and Notes, and Financial Statement Schedules to the appropriate XBRL Taxonomy (US GAAP, IFRS, etc..):
- Review the accounting policies, statements, notes, and schedules and gain an understanding of the amounts presented to identify the related accounting standards concepts in the appropriate taxonomy
- Understand the industry accounting disclosures specific to Workiva customers
- Stay current with new rules, guidance and best practices
- Model the XBRL Mapping, utilizing the applicable Taxonomy, selecting the appropriate line item concepts, axis, and members
- Interpret guidance form taxonomy to determine accuracy of tag choice or evaluate that extensions follow the relative intent of the taxonomy
- Consult to rationale behind different decisions
- Tag the values in the companies’ Financial Statements and Notes, and Financial Statement Schedules with the concepts identified
- Determine whether values are stated at a point in time (Balance Sheet), or over a period of time (P&L), and whether monetary values represent debits or credits
- Apply knowledge of the different components of the cash flow and equity statements, presentation and disclosure requirements for: Stock Based Compensation, Fair Value, Derivatives, Pensions, Income Taxes, Inventory, Investments, Property Plant and Equipment
- Maintain knowledge of taxonomies, SEC regulations, and accounting standards' changes
- Stay current with industry trends, updates on accounting standards and regulatory requirements, identifying and applying new skills
Manage Projects and Customer Relationships:
- Manage projects to deliver on-time, on- budget, high-quality results and ensures customer expectations are met
- Manage multiple, moderately complex customers and services ranging from comprehensive full service projects to more limited support for more self-sufficient customers
- Resolve outstanding customer issues and inquiries and manage issue resolution or assist customers as appropriate depending on the type of engagement
- Forecast and triage, if not avoid, emergency situations
- Apply critical thinking to navigate disclosure based on available choices with guidance and input from Team Manager
- Resolve conflict and escalate issues as required.
- Listen to concerns effectively and fairly while relaying appropriate messaging
- Maintain open communication with Team Manager on progress and obstacles related to ongoing projects; understand, discuss and implement review comments, seek feedback and respond appropriately to improve work performance and optimize project success
- Knowledge transfer on a consistent basis (research, disclosure, EFM, ASU, BPs, proposed guidance). Established him/herself as resource for others.
Advance Workiva Initiatives:
- Support initiatives that address customer needs, product utilization for both new and existing products and improving department efficiencies to help meet company goals
- Collaborate with other internal teams such as Product Development, Sales, Marketing and Knowledge and Education to provide subject matter expertise in customer presentations, the roll out of new products or service offerings, user group training and other initiatives to improve the customer experience
- Provide feedback to Product Management and Development regarding customers’ emerging or unmet product needs
- Enhance department efficiencies and service offerings to maximize the impact and adoption of Workiva software solutions
What You'll Need
- Undergraduate Degree or equivalent combination of education and experience in a related field.
- 2+ years experience
- Experience working in a CPA firm or financial reporting environment preferred
- Proven track record of delivering projects, on time, on budget and to a high quality standard
- Successful experience working cooperatively and collaboratively in a team environment
- CPA or CIA certification preferred
Working Conditions & Physical Requirements
- Less than 10% travel
- Reliable internet access for any period of time working remotely, not in a Workiva office.
- Advanced technical accounting skills and proficiency with financial accounting systems
- Sound knowledge of and competency with SEC and SEDAR reporting requirements
- Strong U.S. GAAP (or other accounting standards where applicable) acumen and understanding of financial reporting, a must
- Understand and interpret taxonomy structure
- Ability to consult around needs of the customer and deliver on those needs
- Self-motivated ability to take initiative, execute, and follow-through
- Ability to allow for contingencies, prioritize multiple and potentially overlapping customer requirements and planned filing dates
- Ability to operate and adapt in a fast paced, rapidly changing environment
- Ability to multi-task and manage multiple, moderately complex projects, processes, programs, and procedures simultaneously while working under pressure to meet deadlines, organizational goals and initiatives
- Strong sense of customer service with ability to identify customer needs and expectations and respond in a timely and effective manner
- Strong teamwork orientation
- Resiliency and urgency while navigating challenging work periods
How You’ll Be Rewarded
Base Pay Range in Colorado: $68,000 - $95,000
Restricted Stock Units granted at time of hire
A discretionary bonus typically paid annually
The base pay range represents the low and high end of the hiring range for this job. Actual pay will vary and may be above or below the range based on various factors including but not limited to relevant skills, experience, and capabilities.
Where You’ll Work
Our values drive how we work and who we hire. You will see these values ingrained in how we support our customers, work with team members, build our products and in the work environment we’ve created.
Customer Success: Always delight our customers.
Trust: Rely on each other.
Integrity: Do the right thing, every time.
Collaboration: Share resources and work together.
Innovation: Keep creating solutions and finding better ways.
Inclusion: Support a diverse community where we all belong.
Accountability: Be responsible for your success and failure.
We believe our people are our greatest asset, and our unique culture gives employees the opportunity to make an impact everyday. We give our employees the freedom and resources they need—backed by our culture of collaboration and diverse thought—to continue innovating and breaking new ground. We hire talented people with a wide range of skills and experiences who are eager to tackle some of today’s most challenging problems.
At Workiva, you’ll enjoy:
Fantastic Benefits: With coverage starting day one, choose from competitive health, dental, and vision plans on the largest physician networks available.
Casual Dress: Workiva has a casual work environment, most people wear jeans to the office.
Involvement: Ability to participate in Business Employee Resource Groups (Black, Hispanic, Asian, Women, Rainbow (LGBTQIA+), Veterans, Disabilities), Volunteering, Company wide celebrations, and more
Work-life Balance: We have competitive PTO, VTO and Parental Leave. We encourage employees to spend time enjoying life outside of work.