Zoot's Java Support Engineer within the WRX Software Development Team at Zoot Enterprises, Inc. focuses on supporting user needs through agile development methodologies to understand, design and develop solid software and provide guidance to software users. She or he creates client & server systems, swing and web applications, plug-able components, and database interfaces using Java and associated technologies.
The WRX Team is responsible for development, testing, and release of Zoot’s core software tools and services. The team provides guidance, direction, and support to users of the tools and services.
This position will be located in either our Bozeman or Billings, Montana, office. No remote work.
Essential Job Functions
- Expertise in Java
- Expertise in the tools and services developed and distributed by WRX.
- Design, develop, and maintain client software in accordance with internal or external client specifications, following general Zoot programming practices and procedures.
- Test and verify code to ensure that it meets specifications and requirements, by recording and analyzing test data.
- Update knowledge and skills to keep up with rapid advancements in industry technological advances and software technology, including languages, operating systems, development tools, etc.
- Analyze and fully understand Zoot systems, their dependencies, relationships and transport mechanisms to ensure that project code is fully integrated with other aspects of a platform.
- Analyze and fully understand Zoot’s distributed system, development process, transaction flow, credit processing business, company structure, internal tools and related rules, regulations, guidelines, policies and procedures.
- Provide support in the form of research, explanations, examples, and guidance to end users.
- Provide reliable solutions to a variety of problems using sound problem solving techniques.
- Apply Zoot’s mission statement, desired behavior and tenets and exhibit a desire to see Zoot succeed.
- Apply a sense of urgency, commitment and focus on the right priorities in developing solutions in a timely fashion.
- Write, update, and maintain computer programs or software packages.
- Correct errors by making appropriate changes and rechecking the program to ensure that the desired results are produced.
- Conduct trial runs of programs and software applications to be sure they will produce the desired information and that the instructions are correct.
- Test and verify code to ensure that it meets specifications and requirements, by recording and analyzing test data.
- Analyze and fully understand project requirements to formulate and implement programmatic solutions that efficiently and effectively address said requirements.
- Plan tasks accordingly to meet individual project deadlines by utilizing initiative and good judgment, personal planning, goal setting and positive, proactive interaction with other organizations.
- Utilize ticketing system to track defects and requested enhancements.
- Use Change Management/Release Management processes to develop and deploy code and/or functionality to the production environment.
- Confer with and provide software engineering expertise to project design, sales and marketing, and other team members throughout the product development and implementation process.
- Monitor functioning of software and make necessary modifications to ensure system operates in conformance with specifications and solve production issues arising from any software troubles.
- Advise, mentor, train or assist engineers and developers at other skill levels, as needed, to ensure timely releases of high quality code.
- Compliance with and knowledge of Zoot’s Policies and Procedures, Code of Business Conduct, and Employee Agreement.
- Achieve a service-focused culture with emphasis on delivering on-time, high-quality products and services to internal and external customers.
- Other duties as assigned – it is understood that this list of major duties and responsibilities is not an inclusive list and that other duties and responsibilities, which may include helping others in the same or different departments, may be assigned by supervision.
Competencies Critical For This Role Are
- Public Safety and Security — Knowledge of relevant equipment, policies, procedures, and strategies to promote effective local, state, or national security operations for the protection of people, data, property, and institutions.
- Originality & Fluency of Ideas — The ability to come up with a number of unusual or clever ideas about a given topic or situation, or to develop creative ways to solve a problem.
- Selective Attention — The ability to concentrate on a task over a period of time without being distracted.
- Engineering and Technology — Knowledge of the practical application of engineering science and technology; including applying principles, techniques and procedures to the design and production of software systems.
- Active Learning — Understanding the implications of new information for both current and future problem-solving and decision-making.
- Critical Thinking — Using logic and strategic, analytical, reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Operations Analysis — Analyzing needs and product requirements to create a design.
- Programming — Writing computer programs for various purposes.
- Quality Control Analysis — Conducting tests and inspections of products, services, or processes to evaluate quality or performance.
- Systems Analysis — Determining how a system should work and how changes in conditions, operations, and the environment will affect outcomes.
- Systems Evaluation — Identifying measures or indicators of system performance and the actions needed to improve or correct performance, relative to the goals of the system.
- Technology Design — Generating or adapting equipment and technology to serve user needs.
- Troubleshooting — Determining causes of operating errors and deciding what to do about it.
- Service Orientation — Actively looking for ways to help people.
Competencies Critical For All Roles At Zoot Are
- Accountability – Takes responsibility for tasks and projects as assigned; holds self and others accountable for high quality, timely, and cost-effective results; accepts responsibility for mistakes.
- Action Oriented, Initiative – Works hard every day, self-motivated; energized by both tasks expected of the role and new or challenging projects; willing to act even with minimal planning, however, doesn't act carelessly and takes responsibility for actions, whether end result is positive or negative; moves on to the next task or project without being asked or seeks out additional ways to help.
- Communication (General) – Effective with the form(s) of communication that are applicable to a given role (oral, presentation, written); able to be detailed enough to show that the right work was done, yet succinct enough to effectively communicate data, opinions, or findings.
- Critical Thinking – Uses logical, strategic, analytical, reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of a given situation and possible solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems; able to think outside the box to generate possible solutions.
- Customer Focused, Service Oriented – Actively works to meet the expectations, requirements, or needs of internal and external customers; understands who their customer is; acts with customers in mind; establishes and maintains effective relationships with customers and gains their trust and respect.
- Development Focused – Knows or is able to recognize personal strengths and weaknesses, opportunities, and limits; learns from mistakes; receptive to sharing one's own shortcomings with others; is comfortable with balanced performance reviews (both positives and areas to improve) and honest professional development and career discussions.
- Driving for Results, Solutions Focused – Motivated by success and passionate about working and achieving results that align with the plan; finds ways to complete tasks or projects, even in the face of adversity, and remains optimistic and driven to the end; looks for ways to improve performance all the time.
- Integrity and Trust – Widely trusted across the organization; seen as a direct, truthful individual; maintains confidentiality as required; admits mistakes; doesn't misrepresent themselves or the facts for personal gain.
- Listening – Practices attentive and active listening; has the patience and ability to hear people out; able to accurately restate the opinions of others to validate understanding, even if there is disagreement.
- Mentoring – Able to effectively share knowledge and insight with others so that they can accomplish tasks, achieve goals, and enhance skills.
- Organization and Time Management – Able to manage multiple projects or tasks and adapt to changing priorities; effective and efficient with own time; able to bring resources (e.g. people, materials, processes, budget) together to get things done and uses them effectively; shows up on time and respects the time of others.
- Problem Solving – Willing to solve difficult problems with effective solutions; examines all angles and sources before developing a solution; looks beyond easy solutions and doesn't stop at the first answer; able to uncover or anticipate hidden problems; provides honest analysis, even if the answer isn't what people want to hear.
- Professionalism – Easy to approach and talk to; able to put others at ease, either naturally or due to self-awareness to adjust; warm, pleasant, and gracious; sensitive to and patient with the personalities of others; builds rapport by making people feel comfortable; works well with others; is seen as a team player and is cooperative; easily gains trust and support of peers; encourages collaboration; able to be candid with peers; solves problems in a way that minimizes negative impacts to others.
- Technical Aptitude – Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills to perform a job's duties at a high level of accomplishment.
- Working with Existing Tools – Able to leverage current tools, services, process, and procedures to accomplish tasks; seeks additional understanding of existing processes and procedures; finds ways to improve upon existing options before proposing or exploring new options.
Education, Training, and Experience Requirements
- Computer Science, Software Engineering, or related field required.
- All positions at Zoot require the ability to move about inside an office environment which includes the operation of computers and other office productivity machinery and frequently communicates with other employees, clients, vendors, and visitors.
- This position specifically requires long periods of sitting at a computer workstation.
- This position will take place primarily in an office setting.
- This position will require travel 0% of the time.
- The Java Support Engineer position is ever changing and requires flexibility, self-initiative, and regular management of changing priorities.
- Occasional nighttime and weekend work is required within this position.
Zoot Benefits Include
- Proudly based in beautiful Bozeman and Billings, Montana
- Casual Attire
- Bring Your Well Behaved Dog
- On-site Child Care Center (Bozeman)
- Flexible Work Schedule
- On-site Cafeteria (Bozeman)
- Espresso & Snack Bar (Bozeman)
- On-site Fitness Center & Fitness Classes (Bozeman)
- Private Disc Golf Course (Bozeman)
- Private Sports Park with Putting Green, Bocce, and Volleyball (Billings)
- Underground Parking (Bozeman)
- Paid Vacation, Sick Leave, & Holidays
- 401(k) with Generous Company match
- Health, Dental, Vision, Life Insurance, Short Term & Long Term Disability
- Fun Committee and Family-Friendly Events
- Wellness Committee dedicated to Health, Mental Wellbeing, Fitness, & Nutrition