Job Summary: This position is responsible for overseeing and managing all aspects of Blackfoot’s broadband telecommunications construction projects, including physical network design, budgeting (both financial and timeframes), underground and aerial construction, post-construction inspection, and timely service delivery. This position will have oversight of the outside-plant engineering and construction teams (in-house and contractor) and will play a pivotal role in collaborating with Blackfoot’s finance and procurement teams, state/federal grant administration team, service installation and delivery team and others in ensuring Blackfoot’s multi-million dollar construction projects across Montana and Idaho are completed on time and within budget. The position will also be responsible for providing leadership around maintaining high-quality engineering and construction standards, adhering to safety regulations, and driving innovation in construction tracking and methodologies. Will deliver data and voice services to customers, on-time, also manage annual multi-million dollar capital expense and operating budgets.
Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Lead Blackfoot’s $100+ million dollar broadband telecommunications construction projects across Montana and Idaho.
- Lead, manage and provide mentorship to the outside plant engineering and in-house construction teams; Foster a collaborative and innovative work environment the encourages personal accountability, problem solving and decision making, and continuous improvement.
- Develop and implement a comprehensive construction strategy in collaboration with Blackfoot’s finance and procurement team, state/federal grant team, and service delivery team.
- Vet, select and oversee third-party outside plant engineering and construction firms that will assist with construction projects.
- Oversee a vast array of projects, including planning, scheduling and execution, from conception to completion, ensuring completion on time, within budget, in accordance with engineering specifications and designs, and at or exceeding quality standards.
- Deploy systems and processes to identify, mitigate and report on potential risks and challenges during project execution; Provide various statistical and analytical information to the Chief Operating Officer and/or Executive Leadership Team.
- Provide annual capital and expense budgets for Construction Division including providing regular progress reports to Blackfoot’s Executive Leadership Team.
- Provide strategic input and direction and participate in strategic planning as required.
- Stay current on evolving data/telecom network and infrastructure operations.
- Ensure a safe workplace.
Additional Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Perform other duties and responsibilities as required to fulfill job function or as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- company policies, procedures, products and services.
- best practices related to infrastructure construction.
- general office practices and procedures.
- effective supervision, mentoring, and management principles and practices.
- time management and organizational skills.
- write original material, edit, proofread and finalize written material.
- gather , analyze, interpret and report on numerical data and produce statistical reports.
- operate various office equipment need to perform the essential job duties.
- inspire mid-level management, provide mentorship, support and guidance, and effective feedback.
- completing projects on time, within budget, meeting high quality and safety standards.
- work independently and within a team.
- think analytically and be a problem solver.
- oversee multiple complex budgets, grant and other funding related information.
- communicate effectively, both in writing and in speaking, with customers, co-workers, and various business contacts in a courteous and professional manner.
- work successfully time constraints and deadlines.
- create a team environment and sustain employee morale.
- obtain and maintain a valid Montana driver’s license, have a good driving record and be insured under the Company insurance policy.
- maintain confidentiality of Company records when required.
- provide excellent customer service.
- work in a safe and effective manner.
Education and Experience:
Any combination equivalent to the following education and experience that would provide the required knowledge, skills and abilities would qualify. A typical way to obtain the knowledge, skills and abilities would be:
Bachelor’s degree in Construction Management, Civil or Mechanical Engineering, business or related field; 6 to 8 years of infrastructure and/or general construction management, including complex multi-project management with strong leadership, supervision and team management experience. Professional Engineer (PE) and/or Project Management Professional (PMP) certificate helpful. (Note: Any noted minimum or maximum years of experience should not be construed as a requirement for consideration; this information is meant to be used as a suggested guideline.)